A lot of people think that fish has to be a one-time deal and toss any leftovers they have. But it doesn’t need to be this way! Learn how to use leftover fish with these few tips and recipe ideas.
The first thing to know is that if you have to use direct heat to reheat your leftovers, it must be quick and gentle. Using high heat such as pan-searing a second time or microwaving will only leave your fish dry or smelly! Another thing to keep in mind is to make sure you use your leftovers within 1 or 2 days of first cooking the fish.
Here are a few ideas on how you can use leftover fish:
- Use as a healthy protein in tacos or burritos, either at room temperature or gently heated in a pan.
- Stir into soups and chowders just before eating. The heat of the dish will gently reheat the fish.
- Make fishcakes! They are the perfect recipe for leftovers.
- Turn the cooked fish into pate and serve with crusty bread or crackers.
- Kedgeree is another great dish to make with leftovers. Heat in a pan until just warmed through.
- Use your leftover fish at room temperature as a salad topping or a sandwich filling, simply mix with herbs and seasoning of your choice and lemon juice!
- Add some healthy protein to your pasta dishes! Stir your leftover fish into the pasta a minute or two before serving, just to heat it through.